“Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.”
One of our natural instincts is to be products of our environment. No matter how hard we try we look like and sometimes against our better judgment act like our parents. We “imitate” them. Good or bad, sometimes we even hear something like, it looks like your dad chewed you up and spit you out. In other words you are a spitting image of your dad or mom.
Paul in writing to the Ephesians and tells them that they can break the cycle and actual imitate our Father in heaven. Wow, really a sinner like me can be like God?
The very thought of that leads me to ask how, how can I imitate God? Paul lays it out for us in chapter 5 and he gives us 3 ways we can imitate God.
- He says in vs 2 “And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us. An offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.”
- Walk in love, because to walk love is to be a living sacrifice. Just like Jesus.
- Vs. 8, “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light”
- walking in the Light produce GOOD fruit in our lives
- finally in vs 15 Paul says, ” See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,”
- Walk in wisdom, when we walk in wisdom we use our time wisely and we redeem it for the kingdom vs 16.